Take Action with AFAC During Hunger Action Month
During the month of September, the Arlington Food Assistance Center (AFAC) will host events in Arlington to recognize Hunger Action Month, a nationwide campaign mobilizing the public to take action on the issue of hunger.
Even though Arlington has one of the highest median household incomes in the country, hunger affects large vulnerable populations within our county borders. Over 2,400 families in need come to AFAC each week to access fresh and healthy supplemental groceries – freeing up tightly stretched funds for child and health care, rent, and other necessary financial demands. Hunger Action Month creates an opportunity to share AFAC’s story and expand its reach to every Arlington resident suffering from food insecurity. With full plates and full hearts, you can help end hunger.
For a full list of events and for more information, visit our Annual Events page
- Library Exhibits:Full Plates, Full Hearts, Fully Prepared. Learn about hunger, nutrition, and disaster preparedness to commemorate both Hunger Action Month and National Preparedness Month. The exhibits will be on display at five Arlington library branches for the entire month of September. Partner: Arlington Public Safety Communications and Emergency Management Office.
- Garden Talks: Wednesdays, September 4, 11, 18, and 25 at 7pm at Arlington Central Library (1015 N. Quincy St). Hear from local experts on how to get the best out of your gardens.
- Shredding for Hunger Food Drive: Saturday, September 14 from 10am-1pm at Arlington Church of the Brethren (300 N. Montague St.). Free document shredding in exchange for food or monetary donation. Sponsor: Ann Wilson of Keller Williams Realty and Universal Title Arlington.
- Drive Away Hunger Food Drive: Saturday, September 14 & Sunday, September 15, 10am-6pm at BJ’s Wholesale Club (6607 Wilson Blvd). Help AFAC drive away hunger in Arlington by filling the AFAC van with healthy non-perishables. Partner: BJ’s Wholesale Club.
- Golf Tournament: Monday, September 16, 12:30pm at Army Navy Country Club (1700 Army Navy Drive). Tee up at AFAC’s Fifth Annual Golf Tournament and take a swing at hunger. Visit https://afac.org/golf for more information. Title sponsor: Credibility International.
- Stuff the Bus Food Drive: Saturday, September 21 & Sunday, September 22, 10am–5pm at Giant Food stores at Lyon Village (3115 Lee Hwy) and Virginia Square (3450 Washington Blvd). Help AFAC stuff two ART buses with 10,000 pounds of healthy non-perishable food donations. Partners: Giant Food, Arlington Transit, and National Express Corporation.
- Open Houses: Monday, September 30 at AFAC (2708 S. Nelson St.). Take a tour of AFAC’s renovated warehouse and food distribution headquarters and learn about AFAC’s programs. RSVP online: https://afac.org/openhouse
- Organize and Volunteer: Rally your neighborhood, faith community, business, or school and host a food drive for AFAC. Or volunteer to collect food at a Drive Away Hunger or Stuff the Bus food drive. 40% of the food we distribute is donated to AFAC. Visit afac.org/food-drive for more information.
AFAC is an independent, community-based nonprofit food pantry that provides dignified access to nutritious supplemental groceries to all our Arlington neighbors in need since 1988. Currently, AFAC serves over 2,400 client families weekly at eighteen distribution sites throughout Arlington County. AFAC has a 4-star rating on Charity Navigator for financial health, transparency, and accountability. Visit www.afac.org for more information.