Arlington Food Assistance Center
Marketing & Communications Manager
Who we are:
AFAC is a 34 year-old, well-respected, award winning local food pantry whose mission is to feed our neighbors in need by providing dignified access to nutritious supplemental groceries. As a non-profit organization, AFAC relies heavily on volunteers to assist with the distribution of groceries to over 2,400 families who come to AFAC each week. AFAC also relies on the generous gifts of food and funds from our donors to meet the growing demand for our services.
The Marketing & Communications Manager works closely with the Director of Development, and the staff of the Development Office to develop, nurture, grow and maintain our presence in the community, on the website, on social media, and print communications. The Manager assists in the development of fundraising solicitations, and serves as a point of contact for local, DC, and national media, while always directing their efforts at increasing support for our mission, though financial assistance, food donations, and by volunteer service from all sectors of the community.
- Develop effective communications campaigns that support fundraising efforts.
- Create and implement engaging and informative content through direct mail,
email appeals, social media and AFAC newsletters.
- Manage and track AFAC’s online presence through the website, social media platforms, and various business listings and websites.
- Monitor local news sites, social media, the local county governments and other
local new sources to remain aware of the local politics and the work of others.
- Oversee all fundraising solicitations and track effectiveness
- Research and manage/support grant writing efforts.
- First media point of contact with local and national press.
- Ability to integrate into and work well with our team;
- A knowledge of general management techniques and practices;
- A thorough understanding of the principles and values shared in a
- An ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- The ability to manage time effectively to complete multiple tasks accurately and
- The ability to initiate projects and complete with accuracy and effectiveness;
- The ability to solve problems creatively and with common sense;
- Excellent written and verbal English; proficiency in Spanish is a plus;
- Extensive knowledge of all social media platforms;
- Experience with email marketing platforms;
- Experience with DonorPerfect environment is a plus;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Good customer service skills.
The position is full-time (40 hours a week). The position includes ten paid holidays, paid annual and sick leave, health benefits, and a generous 401K plan, which can be found in the Employee Handbook.
The position reports directly to the Director of Development. Work hours are generally 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required as the duties and responsibilities may demand.
Interested individuals should submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com and include the position in the email subject line.