About AFAC

  • Mission Statement: To feed our neighbors in need by providing dignified access to nutritious supplemental groceries.
  • Providing free groceries allow families to use their limited financial resources to obligations such as housing, utilities, medication, and other basic needs.
  • All families are required to have a referral to be eligible for our services. Referrals can come from approved partnering agencies, such as Arlington County’s Department of Human Services, schools, or other social service organizations.
  • According to the Capital Area Food Bank’s Hunger 2020 Report, 15,870 individuals in Arlington are food insecure (having limited or uncertain access to food, reduced food intake, and disrupted eating patterns). Last year, AFAC served 13,905 total individuals, or 88% of reported food insecure individuals.

Impact: FY 22 Client Numbers

  • 108,660 total family visits in one year
  • 6,954 total families referred
  • 5,141 distinct families served during the year
  • 13,905 individuals in these families served
  • 3,900 families served on average per month
  • 2,500 families served on average per week
  • 32.7% of individuals are children
  • 12% of individuals are seniors
  • 8.5% of all individuals are disabled

Food Distribution

  • Instead of pre-packaging our groceries, families select food from our shelves so that they can take home food that they know their families will enjoy.
  • This choice model has proven to reduce food waste and save expenses, permitting AFAC to serve our community to our capacity, while providing many healthy options.
  • AFAC’s weekly menu includes fresh fruits and vegetables, chicken, fish, milk, eggs, rice, beans, cereal or oatmeal, canned goods, and bread.
  • In FY22, over 3 million pounds of food was distributed to families in need.
  • 40% of food we provide is donated to us through partnerships with local grocery chains, gleaning networks, farmers' markets, and corporate and community food drives.
  • Food is distributed at 16 grocery distribution centers throughout Arlington, including affordable housing communities and senior living facilities.
  • A home delivery program is offered to those who are at high risk and do not have a support system.
  • AFAC also supplies food to many partnering agencies to support their meal and snack programs.


  • AFAC receives no federal or state funding. Arlington County provides only 6.8% of what it takes to operate AFAC. The remaining 93.2% comes from private donations—cash and food donated from individuals, foundations, faith congregations, local businesses, and peer organizations.
  • AFAC has an annual budget of over $8.4 million for FY23.
    • Cash budget: $4.1 million
    • Donated food value: $2.6 million
    • Volunteer time value: $1.6 million (37,756 hours served in FY22, the equivalent of 18 additional FT employees)
  • AFAC’s overhead rate in FY21 was 14.4%.
  • To ensure that we provide nutritionally balanced food, AFAC purchases 60% of its food at a discounted cost from both large national distributors and reputable, local, civic-minded suppliers.
  • AFAC’s FY23 food purchase budget is $1,300,000.