Put Your Best Fork Forward
On Sunday, March 26, join us at Arlington Central Library from 2-5pm for an afternoon of fun for the whole family for an event to celebrate National Nutrition Month. The free event teaches children about My Plate through games and activities and provides families, caregivers, and teachers nutrition tips through a variety of 5-minute presentations. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule of events:
2-3:30pm: My Plate activities for kids!
Themed activities related to My Plate food groups (fruits, vegetables, protein, dairy, and grains), including planting vegetable seedlings, jeopardy, and games!
3:30-5pm: Ignite Presentations on nutrition topics (5 minutes each)
- Growing “Super” Foods with Kirsten Buhls, VCE Agriculture Natural Resource Extension Agent
- All Hail Kale! with Jennifer Abel, M.S., AFC, VCE Senior Extension Agent, Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS)
- Nutrition Education in the Classroom with Van Do, VCE Extension Agent, FCS, SNAP-Ed, Virginia Family Nutrition Program
- No Gym Needed! Fun Ways to stay Active and Healthy in Arlington with Joel Yatsko, Arlington Department of Parks & Recreation, Community Health Programmer
- Youth Gardening: Growing Food with Your Kids with Caitlin Verdu, VCE 4-H Extension Agent, 4-H Youth Development
- Five Guidelines for a Healthy Eating Pattern with Kathryn Strong, M.S., R.D., VCE Extension Agent, Family and Consumer Sciences
- Sugar…Not as Sweet as it Sounds with Melinda Cater, M.S., R.D. student and AFAC volunteer/intern
- Picky Eaters and Kids in the Kitchen with Giuliana Klesius, R.D., Health Educator, and AFAC volunteer
NEW: HCAT Interviews with Parents
Representatives from Arlington’s Healthy Community Action Team (HCAT) will be in the auditorium’s lobby conducting interviews at an HCAT table. They would like to interview parents about children’s health behaviors. HCAT seeks to achieve greater health and wellness for our children; your responses help inform a strategic plan to support families and communities within Arlington.
If you are interested in participating in the 25 minute interview, HCAT representatives will explain the interview to you and will schedule a time (if not on Sunday, then during a time/place that works best for you in March/April) to interview you. The interview is anonymous and confidential. Contact Mary Wulf at email@example.com if you have any questions about HCAT or to set up your interview. As a thank you for chatting with us, HCAT will provide you with a bag of fresh produce.
The Arlington Food Assistance Center and Virginia Cooperative Extension are HCAT members and the interviews will help both organizations with their programs.