Date/Time: 03/02/2019, 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Location: Arlington Central Library
Plot Against Hunger presents the 6th Annual Spring Garden Kick-off featuring speakers, knowledgeable practitioners, free seeds, and demonstrations of garden techniques. The kick-off is a great way to learn about how to start a garden for AFAC, how to donate produce to AFAC, and hear from community garden coordinators and others about lessons learned. Click here for the downloadable flyer.
- Learn about AFAC’s Plot Against Hunger gardens in Arlington & how to start your own.
- Sessions for beginners to advanced gardeners on soil needs, basic garden structures, seed starting & transplanting; how to grow best varieties of crops for AFAC (esp. tomatoes, peppers, beans, cole crops, summer squashes & cucurbits).
- Growing in the city: microgreens, balcony & patio gardening.
- Hands-on: transplanting seedlings, rain barrel painting, and more.
- Planned exhibits & demostrations: winter sowing, balcony & patio gardening, Northern Virginia Extension Service, Arlington FOUA, Master Gardeners, local businesses.
- AFAC Gardeners: Collect your free seeds & herb seeds; containers & bags for donations, seed pots & trays, Plot Against Hunger signs.
- Join an AFAC garden team; sign up to help harvest bamboo for garden structures.
- BONUS: Take home coffee grounds to enrich your soil and samples from AFAC’s Walter Reed Garden compost.
- BOOK EXCHANGE: bring your unused garden and cookbooks for a neighborly book swap!
Light refreshments will be available. All are welcome.
Please fill out the form below to RSVP (or click here).
For more information, contact Puwen at PlotAgainstHunger@afac.org.