Our mission is to feed our neighbors in need by providing dignified access to nutritious supplemental groceries. In addition to procuring wholesale foods and creating meaningful volunteer experiences, AFAC distributes groceries directly to families at 21 food centers, including a Home Delivery program
The Client Services Associate (CSA) is responsible for overseeing the Nelson Headquarters’ food distribution 5 days per week and assisting the Client Services Department with the Home Delivery program, client outreach, communications, referral processing, and other such duties as assigned.
Oversee the client experience, check-in desk, and waiting room during distribution hours.
- Conduct intake duties: greet returning clients and check-in their accounts, orient new clients, communicate referral and renewal information, and make social service referrals based on clients’ needs.
- Create a dignified, safe, and efficient client experience.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with new and returning clients.
- Maintain a positive attitude and calmly respond to customers’ complaints and conflicts.
- Follow appropriate safety protocols including de-escalation techniques and basic first aid.
- Restock supplies and maintain a tidy waiting room, receptionist area, and volunteer check-in area.
Support the Client Services Department
- Support AFAC’s Home Delivery program, in particular, coordinate deliveries, monitor inventory, pack grocery orders, and supervise volunteers.
- Support client communications efforts, including outreach events, dissemination of flyers, and assisting with the annual client feedback survey and focus groups.
- Assist with managing client referrals in AFAC’s Client Check-in & Referral Tracking System (CCRTS 2.0).
- Translate documents from English to Spanish as needed.
- Collaborate across departments on a daily basis.
- Customer Service: ability to effectively communicate and interact with clients to address their concerns, answer their questions, and assist them with their needs. Strong verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written English and Spanish: more than 50% of AFAC’s clientele are Spanish speakers.
- Empathy: ability to listen actively, treat sensitive topics with tact, and treat each person coming to AFAC with respect and dignity.
- Cultural Competence: ability to effectively communicate and interact with people across cultures, especially low-income or food insecure populations or people with marginalized identities. Lived experience or experience working with these populations preferred.
- Ability to problem solve and work independently.
- Time management, organizational skills, ability to multitask and prioritize urgent tasks.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel, and Google Workspace, with the ability and willingness to learn new systems including AFAC’s own proprietary client management software.
The Client Services Associate reports directly to the Director of Client Services and works alongside two Client Services Coordinators. Work hours are typically Tuesday – Saturday, 8 AM to 4 PM, with occasional evenings.
The CSA is a client-facing position. The ideal candidate must be able to remain in a stationary position approximately 60% of the time and must be able to move about a warehouse, pack groceries, and transport crates of food up to 30 pounds approximately 30% of the time. All AFAC employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including boosters as appropriate.
This position is full-time for 40 hours a week and is fully in-person. This position is not exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Benefits include paid sick and annual leave, paid family leave, paid holidays, health insurance, and a 401K plan.
Salary Range: $50,000 – $54,000 per year
To Apply: Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: October 11, 2023. Applications will be reviewed as received.